Watch Dogs 2 is the sequel to Watch Dogs, and is slated for release on November 15th, 2016 (November 29th, 2016 for PC).
After the success of Watch Dogs, Ubisoft immediately began development work on Watch Dogs 2. The game features parkour and is set in San Francisco. The game will feature drones, bike chases, high rises, and - most shockingly - a possible new protagonist.
- Watch Dogs 2: Locations
- Watch Dogs 2: Factions
- Watch Dogs 2: the wrench
- Watch Dogs 2: New Features
- Watch Dogs 2: Soundtrack
- Watch Dogs 2: Media
There are a variety of factions in Watch Dogs 2.
Watch Dogs 2 features an entire new set of features for the Watch Dogs universe. Helicopters will now pursue you and your friends as you use an array of impressive new weapons to take down the corrupt ctOS in San Francisco. New hacking methodologies extend this capability. New vehicles, including motorbikes, new cars, boats, and more give you an impressive range of options you can utilize to escape even the most bloodthirsty enemies.
The game was accidentally announced as in development in early 2016, but the first leaks occurred on Twitter, with some fans and journalists receiving "swag bags" containing Watch Dogs 2 Gear. Soon after, this gear began to go out to more and more people, suggesting this was in fact a marketing campaign, and not a leak at all. On June 7th, 2016, NeoGaf leaked the release date, promo image, and art, confirming the game will be set in San Francisco. An announcement was made that the game would be revealed on June 8th, 2016 at 9am PDT.
At E3, Ubisoft and Sony noted that they were planning on pursuing a Watch Dogs movie, based on the quality and development cycle of the Assassin's Creed movie.
The Ubisoft presentation of Watch Dogs 2 was noted for its soundtrack. For a full soundtrack listing, please check out the Watch Dogs 2 Soundtrack page.
Watch Dogs 2 has an online DeadSec co-op function, where a singleplayer game can have you running across your allies online, forming a co-op team. This is a dramatic expansion from the original Watch Dogs online features. Likewise, there is a lot more functionality in Watch Dogs 2, including boats and more, allowing you to "set up your own moments".
- Watch Dogs 2 Dev Team - The landing page for the Watch Dogs 2 developers.
- Dominic Guay - Senior Producer
- Jonathan Morin - Creative Director
- Danny Bélanger - Game Director
- Mathieu Leduc - Art Director
- Thomas Geffroyd - Brand Content Director
- Lucien Soulban - Senior Writer
- Alexandre Pedneault - Game Designer
- Colin Graham - Animation Director
- David Therriault - Lead Programmer
- Noémie L'Ecuyer - Collaboration Production Manager
- Olivier Girard - Audio Director
- Pierre-Yves Savard - Level Design Director
- Sidonie Weber - Art Director
- Stephane Decroix - Executive Producer
The developers said during the YouTube reveal that they have learned from what the players said about the first game, and have a better understanding of what they were trying to do. They wanted to expand on what the first game tried to do, with many developers scouring the player feedback for what they could do to make the sequel better. They decided to center Watch Dogs 2 in San Francisco, as it was the "birthplace of the attitude of the hacker". Additionally, the developers wanted to really expand on the idea and feeling of being a hacker, and deliver that feeling more effectively with the sequel.
Watch Dogs 2 received "generally favorable" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 75/100 on PC, 82/100 on PS4, and 81/100 on Xbox One. On whatoplay.com, it receives an aggregate score (playscore) of 8.02/10 on PC, 8.53/10 on PS4, and 8.08/10 on Xbox One.
- Metascore for Watchdogs 2 on PCMetacritic, Retrieved May 29, 2020
- Metascore for Watchdogs 2 on PS4Metacritic, Retrieved May 29, 2020
- Metascore for Watchdogs 2 on Xbox OneMetacritic, Retrieved May 29, 2020
- Playscore for Watchdogs 2 on PCwhatoplay.com, Retrieved May 29, 2020
- Playscore for Watchdogs 2 on PS4whatoplay.com, Retrieved May 29, 2020
- Playscore for Watchdogs 2 on Xbox Onewhatoplay.com, Retrieved May 29, 2020